Recent Posts

Friday, April 2, 2010

Local Harvest Schmocal Harvest

My prediction is that Local Harvest Cafe in Tower Grove will be that place people talk about in past tense next year if they don’t replace Mr. Zero Charisma at the front counter.

“Unwelcoming” is the flavor most prominent, despite the locally-produced-with-sustainable-methods menu.  This concept is too good and green to be spoiled by too-old-to-be-angsty front-line representation. 

When asked which is the best choice between the brisket and the grilled cheese, this bad-mannered vegetarian retorted that “I wouldn’t eat the brisket” in a tone that made me shutter. 

So, politely, I took his advice and ordered the grilled cheese, but my decision was based mostly on trying to build a rapport with him.  What?  Why was I trying to engage him?  While I briefly continued to lighten the banter, his awkward social abilities turned more stern and aggressive. 

I’ll never forget this story one my marketing professors told me about the guy running the loading dock at Sears.  He was in the restroom and began a conversation with the President of the company, who happened to be visiting his store on this day.  The dock worker told the high-powered exec, that he was the most important person in the company.  The man was shocked at his arrogance and inquired as to how that was possible. He told him “I’m the most important because I’m the last person the customer has contact with before they leave here and their experience with me will be the one that determines their return.”  He was right. 

I happen to be one of those ladies who lunch and pleasantries always win me back over menu options. I believe there is a place for everyone on this planet.  My front-counter-friend, please find yourself a new place. 

Local Harvest, please give me a reason to return. 

9 comments:

Laura said...

While we're on the subject of local health-food options, how about the snobby, uncaring service at Whole Foods!? I have come across so many disinterested employees (except for the fishmongers, who are great) that I would quit shopping there if it weren't for some of their great products.

Heather Reed said...

I've seen both ends of the spectrum with WFM, but for the most part, I find the workers unapproachable...particularly in the prepared foods section. I have often seen the "you must be and idiot if you're asking that" look. On the other hand, my last two visits were pleasantly notable. One stocker from produce walked me over to the kim chee isle and upon discovering they were out of kim chee, she proceeded to find me a cookbook with a recipe on how to make it myself. Then, I bought some soup but only filled the container half full because I wasn't very hungry and I thought the checker would weigh it. Apparently, soup is charged by the container, not the weight. The checker rang me up and told me to take the container and fill it all the way up and save it for later when he noticed it was half empty. They need to be building an entire staff of people like these.

leslie said...

Nice blog!

Seems to me that Zero needs to go find work elsewhere. If he won't eat what he serves, how can he ever be less than angsty?

I look forward to more fly catching, Heather!

Julie said...

Well put!

Anonymous said...

brisket?... grilled cheese?... brisket? grilled cheese?

brisket. brisket. BRISKET!!!

you had to ask?

Heather Reed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Heather, you should let Local Harvest know about your experience! I agree with you that their workers don't have the most charisma, but I go there a lot and really love the place. The owners are really nice and I think they would care if you told them about your experience.

Heather Reed said...

Thanks Laura! I just sent an email to the owner of Local Harvest and will certainly report back on the results. My intention is to offer the possibility of improved service. Businesses will benefit a great deal from hearing candid reports from consumers on this matter and taking the opportunity to do something about it. If changes are made, and service improves, I will be the first to sing their praises. I look forward to changing my tune!

Mindy said...

Heather - this rocks. I will share episodes as they arise - because they do, both the good and the not-so.

I'm reeeeally glad you are writing about this!

Post a Comment